Dogs are generally happy, but depression and anxiety in dogs do exist. Some reasons why they may be depressed include their owners moving to a new place, bringing a new baby or pet in the home, etc. Meanwhile, the stress in dogs is also common but happens less often. Some signs of this include pacing, shaking, whining, and hiding.
So look out for those and make sure that you can help your furry baby some help ASAP. As dogs love food, this is a sure solution to fix their problems. Read on to discover the best calming treats for dogs. I’ve spent around 36 hours analyzing the best possible options (budget-friendly, efficient, and comprised of decent ingredients), so you don’t have to.
If you are here for a quick suggestion, I’d say go for this option by Zesty Paws. It’s made of organic ingredients, well-priced, proved to be efficient, and the company has probably one of the best customer support on the market.
Otherwise, keep reading.
Do you have an interest in calming treats for dogs for a specific situation? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
- Best calming treats for dogs: our top choice
- Best calming chews for dogs
- Best anxiety treats for dogs
- Best hemp calming treats for dogs
- Best valerian root dog treats
- Calming treats for aggressive dogs
- Best calming treats for dogs joint health
- Best natural calming treats for dogs
- Best organic calming treats for dogs
- Best calming treats for senior dogs
- Dog calming treats FAQ
Best calming treats for dogs: our top choice
Open a bag of chips or start cooking in the kitchen, and for sure, your dog is going to be right there next to you. Hence, food may just be that solution to get our dogs well and healthy again.
Calming Bites by Zesty Paws offers anxiety composure relief when they are separated from you, or when they hear thunder and fireworks. Its ingredients include Suntheanine, which is what stimulates the brain waves to promote relaxation. Most importantly, these are turkey flavored and are made with natural and organic ingredients.
Give your dogs these natural calming treats, then sit down with them and pet them a little. No doubt, they will appreciate this relaxing time with you.
- Helps nervous and anxious dogs calm down and relax
- Made with organic and natural ingredients
- Turkey flavored without odor
- Dogs like them as much as regular treats
- Great customer service from the company
- You may need to disguise the treats in dogs foods if your pup doesn’t like the taste
Best calming chews for dogs
Our furry friends effortlessly put a smile on our faces every day. So in the rare instance that they need some cheering up in their lives, we must do whatever we can to make that happen. Another calming aid for dogs, with a little extra chew, is the Premium Care Calming Treat for Dogs. Unlike other treats made of 50% of cheap filters like corn and glycerin, Premium Care Treats have fewer filters and more active ingredients.
The flavored duck treats are soft and chewy and use organic ingredients like passionflower, valerian root, and organic ginger root. There is a generous amount of 120 treats in each package.
- Organic ingredients with not much filters/additive ingredients
- Helps calm hyperactive dogs and doesn’t take long to kick in
- Soft, chewy, and easy to eat for dogs
- Only has one flavor available
Best anxiety treats for dogs
Dogs love their human companions unconditionally. It’s hard to know when your dogs are sad, because whenever we re-enter our homes, they are always there to greet us with so much joy, affection, and love. However, for some canines, separation anxiety may be extreme every time their owners leave them.
This natural calming treats for dogs by Ready Pet Go! is another dog anxiety treat option. It comes with 90 soft chews that use natural ingredients also, including hemp. These can also be fed to your dogs for vet visits, storms, or other stressful situations.
- Flavored bacon and cheese. enticing for dogs to eat
- Works quickly and helps dogs sleep better when it’s time to at night
- Does not leave the dog too drowsy or tired
- Only comes in this one flavor
Best hemp calming treats for dogs
CBD (cannabidiol) has become a very popular topic these days as a pain relief for humans and as a help for pet parents. There is a misconception that it is just like marijuana, but the answer is No. CBD is made from hemp, which is a non-psychoactive drug.
It does not give you the feeling of being high, and instead, actually calms people down and reduces anxiety, stress, and depression. Just like humans, hemp can now be used for dogs. This option by Hemp Calming Support can help dogs manage stressful situations with no artificial flavors.
- No sweeteners, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Bacon flavored and is soft and chewy for dogs
- Comes with 120 treats inside already
- No other reviews outside of the company’s website
Best valerian root dog treats
Even though there was not enough evidence that valerian root can be used as a good remedy to treat dog anxiety, some vets would recommend those. And some pet parents would agree that those are working (whether it’s a fact or just a placebo effect).
Whatever you stand for regarding giving valerian roots to your pup, these treats include tons of other active (and natural) ingredients too and proved to be working for hundreds and thousands of pet parents and their furry babies. It’s not also for calming and relaxing them mentally, but they are also said to calm any pain and discomfort signs.
- Chewy and duck flavored, so no need to force them as a “medicine.”
- Fit for all dog breeds and sizes
- Ingredients are listed clearly and have no side effects
- Comes with 180 treats, most than any other brand
- Only comes in one flavor
Calming treats for aggressive dogs
Wanting your dog to be calm doesn’t have to stem from stress and sadness or separation anxiety. An owner can also like their dog to relax when their pets are exhibiting aggressive behavior. It’s hard enough to train a dog when they are little, so imagine adopting an adult dog and having to train them from scratch. That’s one of the use cases when Hemp Calming Treats can help. It can be the treats for those with larger dogs that tend to be a little rough.
- The treats have vitamins and minerals that also promote shinier, healthier coats
- Perfect for all dog sizes and breeds
- Also relieves any distress or discomfort with hips and joints
- Not clear on what flavor is available and whether dogs like it
- Not clear whether it is chewy or soft
Best calming treats for dogs joint health
It’s safe to say that dogs are very active. That’s what makes them so exciting and fun to be around! However, we must remember to always be on the lookout for their physical health, especially their joints. The HolistaPet CBD Dog Treats are made with 100% natural ingredients to deal with the problem.
E.g., it has Turmeric Root and Boswellia to reduce inflammation and pain and maintain good joint cell structure and mobility. In the long run, taking care of our dog’s joints and bodies will reduce their chances of getting arthritis, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, etc.
- Non GMO, vegan, organic
- Can make bodies and joints healthier in case of injuries
- Comes in different flavors: pumpkin spice and cinnamon flavor
- Only 30 treats per bag
Best natural calming treats for dogs
If you’re in search of a truly natural, healthy snack to give to your dog, then another healthy and natural calming treat option. It’s a blend of herbs and B Vitamins to ease your dog’s stress and anxiety. Additionally, the ginger ingredient also helps stomach aches, warms the blood, and cleanse toxins.
- Full of natural ingredients and vitamins
- Has a great taste (bacon flavored) and is soft and chewy
- Is also works well for the cleansing body from toxins and relieve nervous stomach
- Only has 60 treats per bag
Best organic calming treats for dogs
Healthy living is not just a fad nowadays. It’s a lifestyle. As people are becoming more conscious of their overall health and diet, I’m sure they would want the same quality and lifestyle for their beloved dogs.
For the best organic calming treats, the HolistaPet CBD Dog Treats are probably the best choice (just browse through those reviews!). Not only do they calm your dogs, but this particular version helps strengthen the heart and immune system. Plus, their flavors are unique: Blueberry and Sweet Potato.
- Organic, non-GMO, no gluten and no dairy with 100% natural ingredients
- Also helps strengthen the heart and immune system
- Only comes with 30 treats
- Pick dog eaters may not immediately like the blueberry and sweet potato flavor
Best calming treats for senior dogs
It’s sad to think of our dogs getting old, but look at the silver lining. We are lucky enough to have them accompany us for that long in our lives! Hence, always best to make sure we are also caring for our senior dogs. As far as my research is concerned, the best calming options for oldies would be Zen treats by Colorado Dog Company. Not only good for anxiety but also dogs with arthritis.
- No additives or chemicals
- Also good for pain relief
- Easy to use and successful in making dogs feel relaxed
- Not all dogs like the smell and taste of it; may need to disguise it
Dog calming treats FAQ
What is the best calming aid for dogs?
There are numerous ways and calming aids to provide to your dogs. Of course, the first would be to be by their side, spend some time with them, and pet them in a relaxing atmosphere. Dogs crave attention, so this would be the first step in deciphering if their anxiety issue is indeed a serious one.
Of course, some products are available, such as calming essential oils, sport dog anxiety jackets, and finally, the calming treats mentioned above. These calming supplements for dogs are a helping hand.
How do calming treats for dogs work?
The answer depends on the product. Hemp, for example, is one ingredient that is used to calm dogs. Hemp is a non-psychoactive plant, but rather, has been scientifically found to improve people’s serotonin levels in the receptors of the brain (low serotonin level=depression). Another ingredient, Suntheanine, helps stimulate brain waves to promote relaxation.
What is in calming treats for dogs?
When looking for the best calming treats for your dogs, always look for ones that contain natural and organic ingredients. The ingredients included in these treats are hemp, ginger, melatonin, valerian root, passionflower, chamomile extract, catnip leaves, wild lettuce, and Vitamin B complex.
Are calming treats safe for dogs?
Calming treats are indeed safe for dogs. If you want to be extra safe, ensure there’re no preservatives, no sugar, no corn, and no wheat in the list of ingredients (although most manufacturers already do this). As you’ll see from the options above, many find it a priority to make their doggy treats vegan and organic.
Dog calming treats overdose
It is important to note that these treats are not a cure for anxiety/depression. These treats are not a medication and are just supplements. Giving them three doses should not hurt them or lead to an overdose, but once again, always check the serving size chart on the products. This way, you can see what is the recommended dosage for each type of dog.
Can you give calming treats to puppies?
You can give calming treats to all dog breeds. Just take note of the packaging as to what amount you can give to your dog according to their size.
Do calming treats for dogs really work?
The answer is yes. According to many pet parents, the above products have worked well for many dogs (whether it was an actual formula or placebo effect). The flavors are very enticing to dogs, and they see it as a treat, not some medicine. In many cases, it does not take too long for the treats to take into effect.
Thanks for the blog graphics: Canva.com