Can dogs eat Pop-Tarts? Or It Contains Toxic Ingredients?

 When you love your dog, you take care of him in all aspects, including diet. Keeping your dog on a nutritious food maintains his health and weight. It also reduces the risk of various diseases, from cancer to cardiovascular disorders. Typically, you feed your dog with lean chicken, beef, fish, grains, and pasta, etc. But how about Pop-Tarts? Should those be included in the dog’s diet or on the list of occasional treat? Read on to know more!

Are you interested in a particular topic about dogs and Pop-Tarts? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page. 

Which Pop-Tarts ingredients potentially can be dangerous for dogs?

Pop-Tarts have a wide range of ingredients including Wheat Flour, Niacinamide, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed, and Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Sugar, Cracker Meal, Salt, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Modified Wheat Starch, Gelatin, Soy Lecithin and much more. None of those is known to be fatal to dogs, but those aren’t the best ingredients for pup’s (or humans’) health either. 

Some Pop-Tarts contain chocolate, which can be very dangerous for your pet and can potentially result in life-threatening heart conditions. 

Are Pop-Tarts bad for dogs?

If your pet happens to eat a small piece of Pop-Tart, you are both going to be fine as long as treat’s formula doesn’t contain anything toxic to your pet’s health. E.g., chocolate, too much of the sodium, or an artificial sweetener like xylitol. So, check the labels before sharing the treat with your dog. However, generally, it is not a good idea to give Pop-Tarts to your dog. It’s high in sugar content, artificial colorings, and additives that can cause diabetes and other unpleasant health issues. 

Can dogs eat cherry Pop-Tarts?

One serving (104g) of cherry Pop-Tarts contains 410 calories, 10g of fats, 330mg of sodium, 76mg of carbs (including 1g of fiber and 33g of sugars), 4g of protein. And amongst its ingredients are sodium acid pyrophosphate, modified wheat starch, gelatin, caramel color, xanthan gum, dextrose, and more hardly edible ingredients. It’s high in calories, sodium, sugars, and a wide range of preservatives and other artificial components, so I recommend to keep your dog out of Pop-Tarts. 

My dog ate chocolate pop tart. What should I do?

Theobromine and caffeine are the two toxic ingredients in chocolate. At the same time, baking chocolate and dark chocolate are more harmful than white chocolate. Thus, you need to check the ingredients list of chocolate Pop-Tarts and determine the type of chocolate used in them. 

If Pop-Tarts are made with dark or baking chocolate, then, you have to watch your dog closely and spot any troubling signals.

The first signs of poisoning in dogs as mentioned veterinary surgeon Fiona Finlay from Child Health Department, Bath NHS House, Bath in her paper about dogs’ chocolate poisoning include vomiting, hyperirritability, excessive panting, and muscle twitching.

If your dog’s displays any of those, you should immediately consult with your vet.

Can dogs eat Pop-Tarts after all?

Yes, they can, but we don’t recommend them for your dog. The majority of treat’s components are not necessarily toxic for your dog, but not good either. The product’s nutritional value – high on carbs, calories, sugars, and sodium – is also not the best match for your pup.  

Credits: thanks for the photo to Canva.

If you’ve found the information above valuable, please, share it. And thank you for reading.

Disclosure: At we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to note that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including VigLinks and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate earns from qualifying purchases.  Also, please note that does not intend to provide veterinary advice. All published articles are meant for informational purposes only. And this information should not be substituted for professional veterinary consultation.