If you have never had a dog before, then figuring out some of the basics can be tough. For instance, how to potty train your pup can be challenging the first time around.
It is usually for this reason that you’d decide to get a dog crate with the divider. The crate comes in handy for many people, as crate training is a great way to get your dog to behave well indoors. There are many things to consider when buying a crate. Still, luckily, dividers mean that size doesn’t need to be an absolute concern.
If you want to potty train your new puppy, then a dog cage with a divider is one of the most trusted ways to achieve this. However, as a new dog owner, you might not know which divider to buy or whether you can make it at home. Fortunately for you, I’m here to answer all your questions with this article.
Do you have a specific question about choosing the best dog crate with divider? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
Why might you want to use a dog crate with a divider?
There are two really great reasons to make use of a dog crate with a divider. You can use a much larger crate than your dog and use a crate divider panel to continually increase the space as the dog gets older and larger. Why would you do this, though? Well, here are some good reasons:
- It provides one of the best ways to potty train a puppy. Dogs can identify their living area, whether it is a crate or a dog bed. One thing that they don’t like is using the toilet in the same place that they live. The only time they might end up doing this is if they have no other option or if they are young puppies with poor bladder control. So, in most circumstances, you partition part of the cage to make a smaller area available for the dog. They’ll hesitate to soil the section they stay in, so you can use that as an opportunity to teach them to only pee or poop in certain places. After all, if you gave the dog access to the full cage, they could soil one corner and go to sleep in the other.
- It lets you buy a single cage, even as the dog grows. Dogs grow very fast, and certain breeds can get very large even before turning one. If you only buy a perfectly-sized cage, you will spend a lot of money replacing it with a bigger variant in the future. Just look for dog cages with dividers and continue to move the divider as the dog gets bigger! That’s a lot of money saved!
Pros and cons of using a crate divider
You can gain quite a few benefits if you opt for dog crates with a divider. At the same time, however, these cages with partitions have a few downsides as well.
Here are a few advantages you get from using a dog crate with a divider:
- It makes potty training your puppy so much easier. This is all thanks to the natural inclination that your dog has to keep its living space and toilet areas separate.
- It saves you money in the long-term. You can use one cage for a lot longer, and it may possibly be the only cage that you’ll need.
- You can even use dog crates with partitions to hold two puppies. They’ll most likely grow out of it if they’re sharing the space, but it works as an excellent temporary solution.
Some of the cons you’ll experience from pet crates with dividers are the following:
- Buying a larger cage to use for longer provides better long-term savings, but at the moment, it can be more expensive than a small puppy cage.
- Many users expect it to work magic towards potty training. However, it still takes a lot of effort and training from the side of the owner.
How to make a dog crate divider yourself?
If you already have a large crate at home, you may not need to buy an individual crate divider. You can make one at home using many of the things you may likely already have lying around.
Here are the steps:
- To make a crate divider at home, you can use plywood or corrugated cardboard. The former is better for dogs that might chew through the partition.
- Determine which part of the cage you want to place the crate divider. Measure the height of the cage and the width at this point. You’ll need these measurements to cut your plywood or cardboard precisely to size.
- Use a saw to cut plywood and box cutters for cardboard. Make sure it matches the dimensions you measured.
- Drill holes into each corner of the divider. Along with cable ties or wires, secure the partition to the cage.
- As your dog grows, loosen these ties and slide the divider to another position. It’s that easy!
Best large dog crate with divider
If your pal is a breed that will grow to a large size, such as a German Shepherd or Dalmatian, you’ll want a large cage. This dog cage with a divider from Dkeli will make a great choice, and it comes with a division-part straight from the factory, so it’ll work great for puppies too!
- It doesn’t need any tools for assembly
- Easy to fold and transport for travels
- Comes with a high-quality plastic tray
- None spotted
Small dog crate with divider
If you have a toy dog or any other small or medium breed, you won’t need a giant cage from the start. A puppy crate with a divider like this one will usually do the trick even when your pup is fully grown. This cage comes with a crate divider panel, so there’s no headache there.
- Comes with a plastic tray base that makes cleaning up easier
- It is easy to fold
- Has only a single door
Top wire dog crate with divider
If you have a large and strong dog breed like a Pitbull, you may want a cage that there’s no chance of it breaking free of. Dog cages with dividers don’t get tougher than this. You can also stack multiple of these if you have more than one dog or work with dogs. It comes with 2 feeding bowls too!
- Strong and very well built
- Feeding bowls are an excellent addition
- Has multiple doors for access
- It is heavy
- Not foldable
Best dog crate divider with an opening
Dog crates with dividers come in various sizes, but you typically have to shop around for them. MathRose makes this easy by offering this in an array of sizes so you can choose the perfect one for you. This 48-inch model has a double door too. If you’re looking for a solid dog crate divider with the door, this is a great affordable option. It is made of strong wire, can be folded, and is easy to clean!
- Comes with two doors, making it easy for your dog to access with or without the divider
- Different sizes mean you can find one for any kind of dog
- It can be folded flat
- Slide latch isn’t the strongest
Credits: thanks for the cover photo to Canva.
Disclosure: At Doghint.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to note that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including VigLink, ShareASale, Skimlinks, and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate Doghint.com earns from qualifying purchases. Also, please note that Doghint.com does not intend to provide veterinary advice. All published articles are meant for informational purposes only. And this information should not be substituted for professional veterinary consultation.