Designer breeds of dogs (crosses between two pure breeds) are popping up all over the place these days. One of the newest and perhaps cutest designer breeds is Dalmachshund. This eye-catching dog is sure to capture the hearts of many.
Are you interested in a particular topic about this mix? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
- What is Dalmachshund?
- How is Dachshund and Dalmatian mix called?
- Dalmatian Dachshund mix: breed specifications
- How much do Dalmachshund puppies weigh?
- How big do Dalmachshunds get?
- The Lifespan of Dalmatian and Dachshund mix?
- Dachshund Dalmatian mix temperament?
- How easy is it to train a Dalmachshund?
- Tips for Training your Dalmatian Dachshund mix
- Do Dachshund Dalmatian mix shed?
- Dalmatian Dachshund grooming and care
- Dalmatian Dachshund possible health issues
- Dalmachshund: Is it right for you and your family?
What is Dalmachshund?
A Dalmachshund is one of the newest mix-breed dogs called designer breeds and is a cross between a Dalmatian and a Dachshund. These dogs take their looks from both parents. Including Dachshund’s shape and the black and white spots of the Dalmatian.
How is Dachshund and Dalmatian mix called?
The name most often given to a Dachshund Dalmatian mix is a Dalmachshund or Dachsation.
Dalmatian Dachshund mix: breed specifications
|Average Weight||13 - 43 pounds|
|Average Height||10 - 15 inches|
|Average Lifespan||12 - 15 years|
|Easy to Train||Fairly easy|
|Space Requirements||Both larger and smaller places will do|
|Personality||Smart, playful, and fearless|
How much do Dalmachshund puppies weigh?
Since Dalmachshunds are a new breed, it is difficult to come up with an average weight for one of these puppies. But it will depend a great deal on whether the puppy inherited more of its physical size from the Dalmatian or the Dachshund. It also depends on whether the parent Dachshund was a standard or a miniature.
A three-month-old Dalmatian should weigh at least 14 pounds, while the same age Dachshund weighs 5 or 6 pounds. Your mix Dalmatian/Dachshund should weigh somewhere in between.
How big do Dalmachshunds get?
Full-grown Dalmachshunds can vary in size a great deal. These dogs range in size from 10 to 15 inches in height and can weigh anywhere from 13 to 42 pounds. Since this is a new mixed breed, it will take a while before the size becomes more standard.
The Lifespan of Dalmatian and Dachshund mix?
It is believed that Dalmachshunds have a quite long lifespan with proper care these dogs are likely to live between 12 and 15 years.
Dachshund Dalmatian mix temperament?
When two breeds of dogs are mixed, the offspring take on the personality and temperament traits of both parents. When it comes to Dalmachshunds, these dogs are most likely to be intelligent, warm, playful, loveable, and fearless. They also may be strong-willed (which comes from the Dachshund side).
How easy is it to train a Dalmachshund?
Both Dalmatians and Dachshunds are very intelligent dogs, and Dalmatians, especially, learn commands early will actually practice obeying commands as long as the owners want. Dachshunds are also quick learners, which should make these dogs easy to train. However, should your Dalmachshund inherit the Dachshunds’ stubbornness, the training could be far more challenging.
Tips for Training your Dalmatian Dachshund mix
- When adopting a Dalmachshund puppy, learn as much about the personalities of both parents as possible since this will give you some insight into your puppy’s personality.
- Give your new puppy a day or two to settle in then begin training them in short periods.
- Make training fun for your puppy but be firm and consistent with training
- Use positive reinforcement such as praise, petting and healthy treats to reinforce good behavior
- Make sure you give your Dalmachshund plenty of opportunities to learn socialization skills.
Do Dachshund Dalmatian mix shed?
Dalmachshunds do shed, but only minimally.
Dalmatian Dachshund grooming and care
Dalmachshunds only require minimal grooming. A proper brushing once a week, tooth brushing 2 or more times a week, regular ear cleaning, and nail trimming once a month. When it comes to bathing, these dogs tend not to have a doggy scent, so wash them only when necessary.
You must exercise your Dalmachshund for at 30 to 60 minutes per day, and providing them with some agility training can help keep boredom from setting in.
When it comes to feeding, it is recommended that you feed your dog between 1.5 cups and 2.5 cups of high-quality dog food a day divided between 2 or 3 feedings. Fresh water should be available at all times.
Dalmatian Dachshund possible health issues
Dalmachshunds are subject to the following health issues that are common to both breeds:
- Hip dysplasia
- Back problems. Due to the Dachshunds elongated back they may suffer from back issues, be sure to check with your veterinarian for proper treatment.
- Urinary tract infections
- Various eye conditions, including cataracts, corneal dystrophy, glaucoma, and dry eye syndrome. Some of these conditions can be treated, but some may not. If your dog is experiencing eye problems, check with your veterinarian immediately.
Dalmachshund: Is it right for you and your family?
With proper training, a Dalmachshund can make a great family dog. They are ideally suited for families who have the time to give these dogs adequate exercise and training and want a dog that is loyal and will follow them around.